Wednesday 9 November 2011

Something for Mr Rothbergs Christmas stocking?

I have been collecting genomics technologies for a while to create a little display of old and current consumables. As part of this collecting I had more Ion chips than I needed and decided to try and get creative.

The result is (I think) quite a nice pair of cufflinks that I shall wear when I put on a proper shirt for presentations. Expect to see these at the 3rd NGS congress and at AGBT (if I get in, only The Stone Roses sold out faster this year). 


If anyone wants a pair let me know and I am sure we can come to some arrangement including a donation to CRUK. If you have any Ion chips lying around the lab please do send them to me.

Making these made me think of what other things could be done with microarray and sequencing consumables. We spend a fortune on what are disposable items and surely we can come up with interesting ways to reuse these. I will try to get some old Affy chips to do the same with, but they could be a little large. Four years ago we had some flowcells hanging on the Institute Christmas tree.
What else can you come up with?

I am still collecting for my ‘museum’. If anyone has the following please get in touch if you are willing to donate.

My wish list:
373 or 377 gel plates
Affymetrix U95A&B set
ABI gene expression array
Helicos flowcell
Ion torrent 316 and 318 chips
Seqeunom chip

13 comments:

  1. Put me down for a pair James! :-) I have plenty of Fluidigm chips for you but not sure how we could turn them into good fashion accessory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have some then please do send them to me at:

    Genomics Core Facility, Cambridge Research Institute, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 0RE, UK.

    I will need to think about how much to charge for a pair but it seems like an easy way to raise a few quid for CRUK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also after Pacific Biosciences chips for another arts project.
    Anyone got some of those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know i’m a little off topic, but i just wanted to say i love the layout of your blog. i’m new to the blogegine platform, so any suggestions on getting my blog looking nice would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know i’m a little off topic, but i just wanted to say i love the layout of your blog. i’m new to the blogegine platform, so any suggestions on getting my blog looking nice would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James - I have been doing an extensive Google search for appropriate sciency cufflinks for my nephew's 18th birthday. He is a boy of few words and needs, but has just started studying something to do with genomics at Oxford. I was wondering if you are still making your cufflinks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be happy to sell a pair in time for Christmas, I would ask for a donation to Cancer Research UK but I'm not sure what to charge? I thought I should just put a pair on eBay and let a bidding war sort this problem out!

    If you are happy to bid on eBay let me know and I'll do it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh - yes I will! How will I find them? Better call them something identifiable - there are a zillion pairs of cufflinks on ebay. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can bid on a pair of these on eBay. All proceeds will go to Cancer Research UK. See, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110988257735

    James.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello James,
    Great blog! And I think Ggenomics is even better than sliced bread! :)
    I use to work for LT and I have a couple of 316 chips if you want.
    I'll be in Cambridge for the EACR Summer Conference on Cancer Genomics so I could either pop there and maybe trade them for a coffee and a tour of the lab :) (my geeky side misses the exposure to machines) or I could post them to the address you mentioned.. Just let me know what you prefer.

    Best regards
    Igor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I also just noticed the date on the post.. Whooops)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.